This creamy white chicken chili keto recipe is comfort food in a bowl! With chunks of seasoned chicken, spicy green chilies, and a rich creamy broth, the whole family will love this tasty low-carb meal. And with just 7 grams of net carbs per bowl, it can fit into your low carb, keto diet and the keto lifestyle.
This keto chicken chili recipe is made with simple ingredients and is ready to enjoy in just over half an hour, This meal can be served and enjoyed with our Keto Cornbread Recipe.
How to Make White Chicken Chili – Keto Version
It’s fairly easy to modify most white chicken chili recipes to be keto-friendly. If you’ve got a favorite recipe already, the major change you’ll need to make is eliminating any beans or corn from the dish. Other than that, most of the ingredients that go into these types of chilis are generally keto-friendly – think non-starchy veggies, protein-rich chicken, and some type of high fat creamy element (whether that’s cream cheese, sour cream, heavy cream, cheddar cheese, or another option).
Of course, I’m not going to leave you hanging – I’ve got my own recipe here to share with you. I just wanted you to have that info in case there was already a favorite recipe in your family that you wanted to modify.
For this recipe, here’s what you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Chicken breast
- Yellow onion
- Poblano pepper
- Seasonings: salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin
- Canned green chiles
- Chicken broth
- Cream cheese
- Heavy cream
- Cilantro to garnish (optional)
You’ll start off by sautéing your chicken, onion, and pepper with olive oil.
Once the chicken is browned on all sides, you’ll add your seasonings and garlic. Then, stir in your chiles and broth, and let everything simmer for about 10 minutes. This helps the flavors to fuse and meld together.
After that, you’ll chop up your cream cheese into a bunch of chunks, and stir that in. Keep stirring often so that the cream cheese melts into the broth, making it creamier. Once it’s fully incorporated in there, you’ll do the last step of adding the heavy cream. If you want, you can garnish it with a little cilantro when you spoon it into the bowls.
That’s it! Super easy to make, done in under 30 minutes, and tastes amazing.
Keto Chicken Chili Recipe FAQ
- Can you use chicken thighs instead of chicken breast? Yes! My family usually prefers chicken breast which is why we veer towards it in our recipes. But you can easily substitute the same weight of boneless skinless chicken thighs to this dish
- What if you can’t find a poblano pepper? No problem. Substitute a small bell pepper (any color) instead.
- Can you freeze white chicken chili? Yes. I recommend freezing it in small, single-serving containers. It’s better to use several small containers that are each all the way full than to use a large container that’s halfway full (you want to avoid the extra air, which is how food quality deteriorates in the freezer over time). Also, freezing in individual portions ensures that a) your food will freeze in the proper amount of time for food safety reasons, and b) that it’s quicker to defrost a single serving for a meal.
- Can you add toppings? Sure. It’s already creamy, but who doesn’t love a little extra sour cream or cheddar cheese on top?! You might also choose to add some chopped avocado, or make these Keto Tortilla Chips and add them on top. Just keep in mind the total amount of net carbs that you eat for the day might dictate what you can add – if you’re following around 20 grams total per day (as many keto followers do), you may want to just stick with the meal as-is or only choose the sour cream or cheddar cheese toppings (since both are less than 1 gram of carbs).
Low Carb White Chicken Chili Macronutrient Breakdown
This chili clocks in at 403 calories with 7 grams of net carbs. Here’s the macronutrient breakdown:
- 54% fat
- 8% carbohydrates
- 38% protein
While this is a little higher in protein and lower in fat than ideal keto macros, it’s really more about the overall balance of the day that matters most for that. You can easily eat a meal that’s more fat-focused and less protein-focused for lunch or dinner to balance this out.
I hope you enjoy this keto white chicken chili! If you get a chance to try it, I’d love for you to share a recipe rating or comment below. And if you’re looking for more of a traditional tomato-based chili recipe, don’t hesitate to try our regular keto chili with ground beef.
MORE YUMMY KETO COOKING INFO TO READ AND RECIPES TO TRY!
We have 100+ keto breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert and snack recipes to choose from.
We also have lots of useful Keto Diet information to discover and help you on your Keto journey.
All of our recipes or keto meal ideas are delicious, once you have tried them you’ll want to make them again and again. By mixing or swapping carb-heavy ingredients with a keto alternative, you can enjoy some of your favorite cuisines without feeling like you’re missing out.
- Keto Breakfast Ideas: Eat Like A Champion!
- Indian Keto Food Recipes To Try
- Keto Pancakes Recipe
- Keto Pink Drink Recipe – Low Carb Keto Version
- Low Carb Keto Donuts – Homemade Recipe
SHARE: WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE KETO CHICKEN CHILI? IF YOU TRIED THIS CREAMY KETO CHICKEN CHILI RECIPE, WHAT DID YOU THINK?
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken breast, onion, and pepper. Cook for 7-8 minutes, or until the chicken breast is browned on all sides.
Add the salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, and garlic. Cook for another minute, stirring well.
Add the green chiles and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and let cook for 10 minutes.
Add the cream cheese and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring often, until all the cream cheese melts into the broth. Pour in the heavy cream and remove from heat.
Divide into four bowls and garnish with cilantro if desired. Enjoy!
Cuisine: American - Course: Main Course - Keywords: keto recipe, keto white chicken chili, low carb, low carb white chicken chili, white chili chicken, yummy keto cooking