Keto Taco Pie Recipe – Crust Free Low-Carb
Are you all familiar with that impossibly easy cheeseburger pie recipe that had a Bisquick topping? It was always a favorite of mine, but clearly not an option on a low carb diet. Well, this keto taco pie reminds me of that – but without the carbs! (Hooray!).
In this recipe, a seasoned ground beef base is topped with a creamy egg mixture and layered with cheese before being baked in the oven. When it’s ready, you’ll have a sliceable taco pie casserole that tastes amazing – yet is so simple to make.
Serve it alongside a green salad for a complete, balanced meal. It’s an easy dinner recipe that’s sure to be loved by both kids and adults!
How to make keto taco pie
Clearly we’re on a taco kick the last few weeks since we’ve already posted about keto taco bowls and keto Taco Bell meals, haha. So obviously, this low carb taco pie was next on the list.
To make this, you only need a few simple ingredients:
- Homemade taco seasoning
- Ground beef
- Heavy cream
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend (or cheddar)
The homemade taco seasoning is the same blend that we use in our keto taco bowls. You’ll mix up several spices and use those to season, rather than a pre-packaged taco seasoning packet.
Why go homemade? Most of those taco seasoning packets include a starch like potato starch or maltodextrin which helps thicken everything up to create that saucy taco meat. Unfortunately, this adds quite a few carbs – typically at least a few grams per serving.
By using a homemade spice blend, you’re able to achieve the same flavor profile without the extra carbs.
Alright, once you’ve got your homemade seasoning ready, you’ll cook ground beef. You’re put this in a pan along with the onion and jalapeno, and continue to cook it until the meat is all browned. Then add the taco seasoning, give everything a good stir, and cook for another minute or two.
At this point, it’s time to make the “pie”. You’ll first put your beef mixture into a pie plate.
Then in a bowl, you’ll whisk up the egg and cream, and pour it over the beef.
This sounds weird, I know. Like, you’re just pouring eggs and cream over a pile of perfectly good taco meat?! But I swear, it works – this is what’s going to give you that fluffiness in the casserole and remind you of that bisquick version!
Lastly, you’ll top your dish with the shredded cheese. I used a Mexican blend (which I realize is not truly authentic Mexican, but you know how stores market them) – which had cheddar, monterey jack, and asadero cheese. But you can easily just use shredded cheddar instead too.
Then you’ll pop this bad boy in the oven and let it back for about 30 minutes until the egg mixture is fully set and the cheese is nice and melty on top. Get ready to dig in!
This keto taco pie makes about 6 servings, each of which has 32 grams of fat and just 2.7 grams of net carbs). The macronutrient breakdown is definitely acceptable on a keto diet, broken down as follows:
- 68% fat
- 29% protein
- 3% carbohydrate
Keto pie topping ideas
If you want to add toppings to your keto pie, it makes for a fun way to jazz up this dish! Here are a few ideas:
- 2 tbsp guacamole (1 g net carbs)
- 10 small black olives (1 g net carbs)
- 1/4 cup salsa (3 g net carbs)
- 1/2 cup shredded lettuce (0.25 g net carbs)
- 2 tbsp canned green chiles (2 g net carbs)
Of course, we also just love it as-is. Most of the time we skip the toppings but do add a side dish to make it a more well-rounded meal.
Side dish ideas
If you’re looking for low carb side dishes to serve with this keto taco pie, try one of these tasty ideas:
- Golden jicama fries (3 grams net carbs per serving) – These are a fun twist on traditional fries, subbing out carb-rich potatoes for low-carb jicama.
- Mexican cauliflower rice (6 grams net carbs) – If are craving a Mexican rice blend, this is a great low-carb option. Even though it’s a bit higher in net carbs for a side dish, you’ll still clock in under 9 grams of net carbs for your meal when you factor in the keto taco pie.
- Low carb Mexican coleslaw (6 grams net carbs) – This side dish combines fiber-rich cabbage with the bright flavors of lime juice, cumin, and green onion. It’s a great way to boost your vegetable intake at this meal.
- Mexican roasted zucchini (4 grams net carbs) – How is it that roasting vegetables makes them taste SO much better?! This roasted zucchini with spices and cojita cheese is a delicious addition to the meal.
- Instant pot buttered cabbage (5 grams net carbs) – I think cabbage is an underutilized vegetable – and there’s nothing better than super buttery cabbage! This side dish comes together quickly in the Instant Pot – perfect to make while your low carb taco pie is in the oven.
- Side salad (depends on ingredients, but a small side salad will generally run around 2-4 g net carbs) – I don’t have a link for this because I’m sure you all know how to make a side salad! If you want a specific idea, try just a simple one with salad greens, a few sliced cucumbers, and chopped celery. Add oil & vinegar on top. Easy and pairs, great with this dish.
I hope you enjoyed this keto taco pie as much as my family does. If you get a chance to try it, be sure to leave a recipe rating or comment below!
MORE YUMMY KETO COOKING INFO TO READ AND RECIPES TO TRY!
We have 100+ keto breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert and snack recipes to choose from.
We also have lots of useful Keto Diet information to discover and help you on your Keto journey.
All of our recipes or keto meal ideas are delicious, once you have tried them you’ll want to make them again and again. By mixing or swapping carb-heavy ingredients with a keto alternative, you can enjoy some of your favorite cuisines without feeling like you’re missing out.
- Keto Raspberry Smoothie Recipe
- Keto Crab Salad Stuffed Avocados Recipe
- How To Make Crispy Keto Chicken Wings
- Keto Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
- Keto Chocolate Pudding – Low Carb Recipe
Keto Taco Pie
Yummy Keto Cooking
This keto taco pie is an easy low carb dinner recipe that’s sure to be loved by both kids and adults!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a round pie plate with nonstick cooking spray, and set aside for now.
Prepare the taco seasoning. Mix all the spices together in a small bowl and set aside.
Place a skillet over medium heat, and spray with just a little cooking spray. Add the ground beef, onion, and jalapeno. Cook, stirring and breaking meat apart every few minutes, until beef is browned. If needed, drain off excess fat (leave a little as it will help the spices blend with the meat).
Mix in the spice blend and cook for another 1-2 minutes, then pour the beef mixture into your prepared pie plate.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and heavy cream. Slowly pour over the beef mixture so it sinks into the meat. Top casserole with cheese.
Place in the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes at 350 degrees, or until the casserole has set. Allow the dish to rest about 5 minutes before slicing.
Serve as-is, or with toppings like salsa, sour cream, guacamole, etc. Enjoy!
Cuisine: Mexican - Course: Main Course - Keywords: crustless taco pie, keto beef recipe, keto recipe, keto taco pie, low carb, low carb taco pie, yummy keto cooking
Share this post