Keto Stuffed Mushrooms with Ham and Cheese
Whether you need a delicious keto appetizer recipe, or if you’re simply craving something “snacky” for dinner – these keto stuffed mushrooms are the perfect choice. They’re packed with cheesy deliciousness and savory ham, with a little punch of flavor from green onions. I can seriously eat these all day long!
How to make keto stuffed mushrooms
Mushrooms are a great vegetable choice for keto followers because they’re relatively low in carbohydrates. They’re the perfect vessel for stuffing with fat-based toppings, or for bulking up a meal with extra veggies.
In this case, I’m stuffin’ ‘em! You only need six easy ingredients to make these ham and cheese stuffed mushrooms:
- White stuffer mushrooms
- Olive oil
- Cheddar cheese
- Cream cheese
- Green onions
Start by rinsing off your white stuffer mushrooms. White stuffer mushrooms are a bit larger than the regular white mushrooms, which makes them great for this type of recipe. But if you can’t find them, you can certainly also use the smaller white mushrooms or use baby bellas instead.
Next, remove the stems. You can either discard them or you can save them for use in another recipe, like stir fry or soup.
From here, you can choose whether or not to remove the gills on your mushrooms. On smaller mushrooms, it’s really personal preference. If you happen to be using very large portabella mushrooms instead of the white stuffers, you’ll probably want to remove them. The gills have a more intense earthy flavor that can sometimes be bitter. More so, they take up room and can get in the way of stuffing them.
But with the smaller white mushrooms, it’s up to you whether you remove ’em or not. I just removed the stems on these.
Toss the mushrooms in olive oil and then place them on a baking sheet.
From here, make your filling: mix up your chopped ham, cheddar, cream cheese, and green onions in a bowl. Scoop the filling into the mushrooms, then bake ‘em in the oven for about 15 minutes.
The result? Tender, cheesy mushrooms that are incredibly delicious.
Each of these keto stuffed mushrooms clocks in at 139 calories with 11 grams of fat and 2.3 grams of net carbs. Keep in mind these are for the larger stuffer mushrooms, so if you’re using smaller regular mushrooms each one will clock in a bit less.
The macronutrient breakdown for this recipe is:
- Fat – 71%
- Carbs – 8%
- Protein – 23%
This breakdown is quite good for a keto recipe.
A few tips for this recipe
- These are great to make after the holidays when you have a lot of leftover ham on hand! We are definitely a ham kinda family on Thanksgiving, so I know we’ll be snacking on these on Black Friday.
- You can mix up the type of cheese you use. If you want to try gouda or swiss, feel free to give them a whirl! I’m partial to the standard cheddar though.
- After you’ve cooked these, you can store them in a container in the fridge for up to 3 days. I usually end up eating a few as part of my lunch the next day.
Can you freeze these stuffed mushrooms?
Yes, although the texture won’t be exactly the same as if you bake them from fresh – they’re still very good though. To freeze, place the baking sheet full of uncooked stuffed mushrooms in the freezer. Wait for a few hours until they’re completely frozen, then transfer to an airtight container or freezer bag.
When you’re ready to bake them, remove them and cook directly from frozen. You may have to increase the cooking time by a few minutes; just keep an eye on them until the mushrooms are tender and the cheese is nice and bubbly.
Looking for more keto appetizers?
If you’re trying to put together a whole spread of keto-friendly appetizers, be sure to check out some of our other great low carb ideas:
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does! If you get a chance to try it, be sure to leave a recipe rating or comment.
Keto Stuffed Mushrooms with Ham and Cheese
- 10 white stuffer mushrooms (or 14 ounces of any mushroom)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped ham
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse the mushrooms to clean off dirt, then pat dry. Remove the stems. Optionally, scrape out the gills.
- Toss mushrooms with the olive oil, then place the mushrooms on a baking sheet.
- Add the ham, cheddar, cream cheese, and green onions to a large bowl. Stir with a spoon until well combined.
- Spoon out filling into each of the 10 mushrooms.
- Place in the oven and cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until the mushrooms are cooked through.