Our Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms Recipe is one of the easiest Keto dinner or lunch recipes to prepare and make out there! You only need a few simple ingredients to make these stuffed portabella pizzas. They’ve got all the cheesiness and bright Italian flavor as a traditional slice of pizza, but with far fewer net carbs.
How to make Portobello Mushrooms Pizza – Keto Recipe
You only need five simple ingredients to whip up these keto stuffed Portobello mushrooms:
- Portobello mushroom caps
- Olive oil
- Pizza sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
You’ll start by taking the large portabella mushroom caps and rinsing them off to remove any dirt. Pat them dry and then remove the stems and gills. The gills are the thin flaps under the mushroom cap that almost resemble a filing folder full of papers.
While on smaller mushrooms you can leave the gills on, on larger mushrooms they have a stronger, earthier taste – and they get in the way of stuffing. On Portobello caps, it’s best to remove them. You can see in the photo below what it looks like on one with everything still on it versus once the stem and gills are removed.
Once you’ve removed them, drizzle a little olive oil on the caps and put them on a baking sheet with the empty cap side up.
Fill each cap with a little pizza sauce. You don’t want to overfill the caps, or the pizza sauce will escape during baking – as I’ve learned many times, haha. It’s not a big deal because it still tastes great, but just makes for a messier clean up.
Then sprinkle on your mozzarella and pepperoni, and it’s ready to go in the oven. Bake ‘em for about 10-15 minutes and they’re ready to enjoy.
Pizza sauce recommendations
When it comes to the pizza sauce for this recipe, be sure to check the different brands you can find at the store and look for the options with the lowest sugar per serving. Avoid any that have added sugar.
Here are a few no-added-sugar brands on the market at the time of publication (of course, manufacturers may change formulations so be sure to double check the nutrition facts):
- Raos Homemade Pizza Sauce
- Organico Bello No Sugar Added Organic Pizza & Pasta Sauce
- Urban Accents Classic Pizza Sauce
- Nature’s Promise Organic Pizza Sauce
- Ragu Pizza Sauce
Nutrition information for keto stuffed portobello mushrooms
Each of these large portobello pizza caps has just 225 calories, with 6.5 grams of net carbs. The macronutrient breakdown is 66% fat, 20% protein, and 15% carbohydrate.
Though that sounds a little high as far as the percentage of carbohydrate, it’s still fine to include on a keto diet since the total net carbs are still in line with most people’s needs. (For reference, most people stick to around 50 grams or less of total carbs, and around 20-30 grams or less of net carbs per day.)
Related recipe recommendations
If you love these keto stuffed portobello mushrooms, you also might enjoy these recipes!
- Ham & cheese keto stuffed mushrooms – Cream cheese, cheddar cheese, ham, and green onions are loaded up into white stuffer mushrooms for another delicious stuffed mushroom dish! This can be used either as an appetizer or part of a main meal.
- Keto pizza with bacon and ranch – Want more of a traditional style pizza crust, rather than a mushroom? Try this keto pizza recipe! It’s loaded up with bacon, ranch, chicken and cheese – all on top of an almond flour and cheese-based crust.
- Keto green bean casserole – If you’ve got extra mushrooms in your fridge, chop ‘em and up and use them in this keto green bean casserole dish. Perfect for the upcoming holiday festivities.
I hope you enjoy these low carb portobello pizza caps as much as I do! If you get a chance to try, be sure to leave a recipe rating or comment.
MORE YUMMY KETO COOKING INFO TO READ AND RECIPES TO TRY!
We have 100+ keto breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert and snack recipes to choose from.
We also have lots of useful Keto Diet information to discover and help you on your Keto journey.
All of our recipes or keto meal ideas are delicious, once you have tried them you’ll want to make them again and again. By mixing or swapping carb-heavy ingredients with a keto alternative, you can enjoy some of your favorite cuisines without feeling like you’re missing out.
- Keto Bread – Make and Bake Your Keto Bread At Home
- 10 Best Keto-Friendly Soup Recipes
- Keto Beef Jerky Recipe
- Creamy Keto Chicken Chili Recipe
- Keto Honey Recipe – Low Carb Sugar-Free
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Rinse the mushrooms to clean off dirt, then pat dry. Remove the stems and scrape out the gills.
Rub the outside of the mushroom caps with the olive oil. Place on a baking sheet.
Add 2 tbsp of pizza sauce to each mushroom cap. Add ¼ cup of mozzarella cheese to each one, and then top each with 3 pepperonis.
Place in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and the mushroom is tender.
Cuisine: American - Course: Main Course - Keywords: keto stuffed portabello mushrooms, portabello mushroom pizza