For many, honey is the ideal sugar substitute. But while it’s considered a healthy option, it’s not something you’re encouraged to consume on a keto diet as it’s high in calories and carbs. That’s why I started making my own keto honey, a sugar-free honey recipe that I can enjoy without worrying about the consequences.
As National Keto Day approaches and also the start of a new year, it’s a great time to plan out ways to still enjoy your favorite recipes as a low carb alternative, if you a new to the keto diet, check out our blog post. A Beginner’s Guide To The Keto Diet
Is honey keto?
I’ve had many people ask me this throughout the years because they had been informed that honey is much healthier than traditional sugar. The truth is, it is. But having honey on a keto diet can be detrimental if you consume it in large quantities, as it will interfere with your weight loss regime.
My low-carb honey is sweet and has a thick texture similar to traditional honey. You can happily sprinkle it over your favorite desserts, bakeries or even add it to a cup of tea if you’d like.
How to make a low carb honey substitute
Believe it or not, but making a keto honey substitute is super easy – you’ll need no more than five ingredients.
- 1 ½ cups warm water (not boiled)
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- ½ tbsp honey or maple extract
- ½ cup sweetener or 1 cup keto brown sugar
Step by step instructions
- Combine half the water and xanthan gum in a bowl and whisk until it has been blended properly.
- Add the sweetener and the remaining water into a saucepan and let it boil on low heat until it has thickened (at least 5 minutes)
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, add the honey or maple extract and blend well. Once it has cooled down, transfer the honey into a jar and store it in your fridge.
- Enjoy your keto honey in a hot drink, The Complete Guide to What is Keto Coffee? or as a topping on our tasty, Keto Pancakes Recipe or our Almond Flour Chaffle Recipe
- Store your honey in a refrigerator for up to five weeks.
- I use sweeteners for many of my creations, but for this recipe, I chose to use keto brown sugar to make sure I got a smooth consistency.
MORE YUMMY KETO COOKING INFO TO READ AND RECIPES TO TRY!
We have 70+ keto breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert and snack recipes to choose from.
We also have lots of useful Keto Diet information to discover and help you on your Keto journey.
All of our recipes or keto meal ideas are delicious, once you have tried them you’ll want to make them again and again. By mixing or swapping carb-heavy ingredients with a keto alternative, you can enjoy some of your favorite cuisines without feeling like you’re missing out.
- Keto Zucchini Boats - Low Carb Recipe
- Delicious Keto Breakfast Recipes – Eat Like A Champion!
- Our Favorite Keto Cornbread Recipe
- Low Carb Keto Flour Pie Crust Recipe
- Keto Chocolate Pudding Recipe
Can you eat honey on keto? If you make your own, absolutely! This keto honey is the perfect addition to your keto meal plan. With only four ingredients, you can whip it up in no time.
Combine half the water and xanthan gum in a bowl and whisk until it has been blended properly.
Add the sweetener and the remaining water into a saucepan and let it boil on low heat until it has thickened (5-10 minutes).
Remove the saucepan from the heat, add the honey or maple extract and blend well. Once it has cooled down, transfer the honey into a jar and store it in your fridge.
Cuisine: American - Course: Dessert - Keywords: keto honey, keto recipe, low carb, yummy keto cooking