Keto Burger Recipe – Five Guys Inspired
Cheeseburgers, hamburgers and beefburgers are the perfect comfort food. But as we know, though they’re juicy and delicious, they’re also unhealthy. However, our Five Guys-inspired keto burger recipe is the perfect substitute if you’re craving fast food following a keto diet. This no bun burger recipe, made with keto-friendly ingredients, is low-carb and gluten-free.
There are tons of ways to have a burger, and the best thing about making it yourself is that you get to play around with it and create one that fits your preferences. Our keto burger recipe is easy to make and requires very few ingredients.
Are burgers keto-friendly?
Yes and no! A hamburger can be keto if it’s cooked the right way and is made using the right products. Fast food restaurants use different kinds of oils, including corn oil, soybean oil, and peanut oil which you’ll find at Five guys. These are all oils you should avoid on a keto diet. However, cooking your own burgers will allow you to have more control over your food using healthy oils such as coconut oil, avocado oil, and olive oil.
Can you have a burger on a keto diet?
Yes, if you have it in moderation and if you make it yourself.
Five Guys Keto Burger Options
Before we get into the recipe, let’s have a look at Five Guys and their selection of keto-friendly foods. Though you should avoid junk food on a keto diet, you can still treat yourself on occasion if you do it right.
- Avoid the fries, milkshakes, and buns – they are high in carbs, sugar, and unhealthy fats.
- Always try to order water, but if you’re craving something else, go for unsweetened drinks.
- Try to avoid the condiments as they contain sugar and other ingredients that are not keto-friendly. If you must add something, why not make your own sauce at home, like keto mayonnaise?
- And finally, always check the nutrient guide to ensure you know what you’re consuming.
What’s in a Five Guys Cheeseburger?
A Five Guys cheeseburger is made up of two patty beef burgers with two slices of melted American cheese pressed in a bun. As for toppings, there’s a lot to choose from as you can add whatever you’d like. From lettuce and tomato to Jalapeno Peppers, BBQ sauce, and relish. As I said, there’s a lot to play with.
Five Guys nutrition calculator
So you’re planning on visiting a Five Guys restaurant, and you’re wondering what you can and cannot eat. Look no further!
It’s a known fact that a large chunk of Five Guys carbs comes from the bread. This is what a Five Guys inspired bunless burger can look like:
- Hamburger Patty: 220 calories | 17g fat | 0g carbs | 16g protein
- Cheese: 70 calories | 6g fat | 1g carbs | 4g protein
- Bacon (2 slices): 80 calories | 7g fat | 0g carbs | 4g protein
- Mayonnaise: 100 calories | 11g fat | 0g carbs | 0g protein
- Jalapeno Peppers: 3 calories | 0g fat | >1g carbs | 0g protein
How to make a Five Guys Inspired keto burger
Our low-carb burger inspired by Five Guys doesn’t have too many toppings as we wanted to keep it fairly simple. With that being said, you can adjust this diet burger recipe to create a personalized keto burger meal. If you want a keto burger meal, pair it with a side of turnip fries.
Keto Burger Ingredients
Two beef patties – you can make your own low carb burger patties using minced meat or buy ready-made patties
Onion – it’s fine to have on keto if you consume it in moderation
Iceberg lettuce – this is standard for burgers, but if you prefer something else, perhaps try using kale
Tomato – this is an optional topping
American cheese – this is an optional topping
Keto burger recipe additional extras
If you feel like something is missing, use our ‘bunless’ or ‘naked’ burger recipe and adjust it by adding or removing the following ingredients:
Buns – If you absolutely must have your burger in a bun, skip the white bread and go for low carb wheat bread instead or use plant-based flours like coconut and almond flour. Coconut Flour vs Almond Flour – Low Carb Flours
Cheese – If you’re not a fan of American cheese, which is what is used in Five Guys burgers, swap it for cheddar cheese. Read our cheese guide on keto for more information.
Condiments – A lot of sauces generally contain high levels of sugar and salt. Either avoid using store-bought products that are not keto-friendly or make your own condiments, like our homemade BBQ sauce.
Toppings – Add keto vegetables that will enhance the flavor of your burgers, such as mushrooms, pickles (as long as they don’t contain added sugar), and green peppers.
Keto burger recipe - Five Guys inspired recipe
- Frying pan
- 1/2-1 Ground beef
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil Extra virgin, avocado oil or coconut oil
- 1/2 Medium Onion
- 1/4 tsp Sea salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1-2 tbsp Meat seasoning Or all-purpose seasoning
- 1 tsp Ketchup tomato sauce
- 8-10 slices Iceberg lettuce
- 2 slices Cheese
- Preheat the grill if you're using one. Proportion your beef, flatten them using your hands or a plate, and distribute them evenly. Add all seasonings. If you're frying your patties, skip this step and go straight to step 2.
- Season your patties with salt, pepper, and your preferred seasoning, and fry them for 7-8 minutes to get medium-cooked burgers. Or fry/grill to your desired level of doneness.
- Fry the onions at a low temperature until they become golden brown.
- Once the onions are done, remove them from the pan and set aside.
- It's time for the cheese! If you're cooking your patties on a grill, add the cheese slices on top of the burgers 3 minutes before it's fully cooked. If possible, close the lid to allow the aroma to blend. If you're using a frying pan, follow the steps above and cover the pan with a lid for 2 minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
- When the patties are ready, place them on top of a few slices of lettuce, and add your desired topping and finish off with another layer of lettuce.
MORE YUMMY KETO COOKING ‘FAST FOOD’ RECIPES TO TRY
We also have 70+ keto breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert and snack recipes to choose from. Yummy Keto Cooking – Keto Recipes
All of our recipes or keto meal ideas are delicious, once you have tried them you’ll want to make them again and again. By mixing or swapping carb-heavy ingredients with a keto alternative, you can enjoy some of your favorite cuisines without feeling like you’re missing out.
- Keto Pizza Recipe
- How To Make Crispy Keto Chicken Wings
- Carrot Cake Keto Muffins Recipe
- Our Favorite Keto Cornbread Recipe